
Cartagena, in Colombia, was the first city I visited on the Northern Caribbean coast of the South American continent and, after 5 months in the Andes, it was so different to anywhere else I had been. It is very hot and the sea is incredibly blue. The people are different, being the most amazing mix of African, European, West and East Indian. The music and spanish language here are also very different. It is a much more laid back place, people spend most of the time outside and the siestas are much longer. It is a very pretty city, with old colonial buildings and tons of bougainvilia flowers along narrow cobbled streets. I stayed in a beautiful posada owned by a woman whose English father opened it years ago. There I had the most wonderful breakfasts, which lasted me all day, served on Portmeirion pottery!
I visited some beautiful places in Colombia and was only there for 10 days. It would definitely be worth another visit!
No comments:
Post a Comment